header

header

Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Big Push

Last Tuesday I loaded the car on my trailer for a trip to a friend's auto repair shop. He has lifts and a huge selection of tools as well as people who are used to working on cars all the time, unlike me who is a dabbler. The plan was to install all the new brake parts, fix or repair other brake parts, and get a look at the underside of the car to see what else it needs.

I had a helper, but really I was his helper. Nick has been working on cars his whole adult life and has the skill and confidence that I don't have. I always get frustrated when something doesn't come apart easily and I often end up breaking things. He knew just how to get stuck things unstuck.

We got it up on the lift and started working. The first project was to remove the brake master cylinder which is in a spot that would be extremely difficult to get to if the car was on the ground or even up on jack stands. Up on the lift, it was much easier but still a challenge. Nick worked on this while I took the wheels and hubs off and got all the brake parts for the wheels ready to install.

We spent all day working on the car and got the master cylinder removed, the front brakes done and one of the rear brakes. I repacked the front wheel bearings, too. The master cylinder was pitted, as I suspected, so I ordered a new one. It should be here tomorrow. I thought about sending the old one to be re-sleeved but that would take a couple of weeks. The new one will get here sooner.

Nick discovered that the center link tie rod needed to be replaced. Fortunately I have one that was bought for the car 30 years ago and never put on. Also the oil pan and differential leak so we will try to do something about that while the car is there.

The first wheel cylinder gets installed
The next day I couldn't go to town to work on the car but Nick finished putting the wheel cylinders in and fixed a steel brake line that I messed up when I was taking the brakes out of the car. So great that he can do this!

Thursday was another day in town for me. All of the bays at the shop were in use so we couldn't put the car up. I spent an hour or two trying to get the brake booster out of the car. Some of the mounting bolts were rusted and it is not an easy thing to remove anyway. Part of the process means lying under the dashboard. I am a big guy and it's a small car. I was pretty crammed in there but got it out. The plan was to take the brake booster home and disassemble it to see what it needs.

I did that today. It was a challenge. The case was stuck shut by rust and gunk. I eventually got it apart, though, and cleaned all the parts I could get apart. Most of it looked really good once it was cleaned. There are a couple of rubber gaskets that need to be replaced for sure. The power piston is the biggest one and it is designed to move air, not brake fluid. The gasket on it is made of leather! Fortunately it's in good shape.

brake booster mostly taken apart
The brake booster uses the engine vacuum to assist in pushing brake fluid to the wheels. It's a complicated piece of equipment. I hope I can get it to work without too much expense. Buying a new one is out of the question. New ones cost almost $2000! If I need to get a rebuild kit I will have to spend just under $300. It is possible that I can find generic replacements for the rubber washers that I know are in bad shape. We will see how it goes.

Next week I will be back at the shop installing the new master cylinder, replacing the tie rod, and fixing the leaks in the oil pan and differential. It will take longer to get the brake booster done. If I am too excited to drive it we might bypass the brake booster. The car doesn't weigh much so not having power brakes should not be too big a deal.

My hope, before I started this big push, was that the car would be marginally drivable by this Thursday, which is my birthday. I am beginning to doubt that we can get it together in time but maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment